Military Academy Nominations
Thank you for your interest in joining the United States Service Academies.
Each year, members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY.
The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment. The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
To request an academy nomination packet, please contact my district office at 810-227-8600 or download the following attachment:
Frequently Asked Questions
How do applicants seek nominations to one of the four service academies?
- Eligibility requirements are established by law. Applicants may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the applicant resides
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- Apply directly to the Vice-President of the United States
What are the eligibility requirements all applicants must meet?
- As of July 1 of the year of admission to an academy, all applicants must:
- Be at least 17 years old, but not surpassed their 23rd birthday
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Be a resident of the 8th Congressional District of Michigan
- Be able to meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the academy to which he or she applies
When do I apply for a nomination?
- The yearly application period opens May 15 for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or those who have already graduated.
What must be included with my application?
- A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- Current photo
- High school transcript
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- An essay stating why you want to attend a service academy (500 words or less)
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
- Please note: Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview in late October or early November.
What is the deadline to submit an application?
- The deadline to submit an application to my office is normally mid-October. Please contact my office at 810-227-8600 for more information.
Can I be nominated to more than one academy?
- Yes. Depending on how well you competed among this year's pool of candidates, you can be nominated to multiple academies. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
- No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission directly from the academy.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
- Academies will begin to notify candidates of their admission status in February. Most offers of appointment are sent out by May.
For additional questions or concerns, please contact our district office at 810-227-8600.